Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Frugal fritter...............

It started a while ago, my obsession with getting that potato fritter recipe..... still have not found one that seems quite right but I will continue to hunt..... In the meantime, meals are prepared and eaten and conversations made. One Saturday recently while driving around looking for Buffalo China and nice neighborhoods with homes for sale, we stopped to have some lunch. Jamie went for the fried clam special, but I had the clam chowder with - you guessed it - fritters! Those clam fritters were good, not Auntie Mary good, but pretty darn close....... good food memories make me happy.

 So the other night I am trying to decide how to cook some chicken breasts and I open the pantry cabinet for inspiration and there is a photo of fried chicken on the side of the Bisquick box. I improvise.....I use the Bisquick and mix it with some Italian bread crumbs. Dip the chicken in an egg wash and then the dry mixture and pan fry the breasts.... very light and crispy.... how happy was I?????? (pretty happy)

Unfortunately in my zeal to make 'enough' I had about a cup and a half of the Bisquick/crumb mixture left and a bowl full of egg wash...... I hate throwing away food. I quickly mixed them together and fried little balls..... they were pretty good for an experiment.....

Tonight I came home and had an opportunity to make what ever I wanted as I would be eating alone.....I mixed together:

1/2 cup bisquick
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/8 c grated pecorino
1 egg and enough milk to give me a stiff batter

Then I fried away...... better than the first experiment. Light and fluffy and just enough seasoning.

Next time..... chopped clams and a little anchovy and those will be perfect!

I am a sucker for comfort food. It doesn't necessarily have to look good to make me feel good......
 

No comments: